Te Awahou - Nieuwe Stroom
Te Awahou - Nieuwe Stroom (TANS) is supported by Horowhenua District Council, based in Levin, about 90 minutes north of Wellington. The Council aims to turn Foxton into the tourism centre for the region.
TANS was specifically set up to manage the establishment of a multi-purpose facility that will accommodate a number of initiatives:
- The Dutch Connection
- Te Taitoa Maori o te Awahou - Arts and Craft Gallery
- Whare Manaaki - Carving hall
- New local Library (Horowhenua District Council)
- I-Site for tourists (Horowhenua District Council)
- 'Save Our River Trust' - Info Kiosk about wetlands, walkways
- Flax Stripper Museum
Right now, TANS is focused on project management and fundraising for the project. The $1.8 million for the Library is virtually secured. We're working hard on attracting more finances.